Sports Physical FAQs 2022-23 School Year
What forms do I need?
All students that want to try-out for a sport in FCPS at a minimum need the following forms: (some sports require additional forms)
- Virginia High School League physical form (VHSL physical)
- Athletic Registration (Emergency care, drivers’ forms, weight room permission)
- You can get all these forms and links at http://www.tjsports.org
What is a VHSL physical?
The VHSL physical is a 4 page form. You must use the JANUARY 2021 version. The parent and student complete pages 1, 2 and 4. The physician (MD, DO, NP, PAC) completes page 3. The physical exam must be completed after May 1, 2022 for the 2022-23 school year.
Please make sure that the physical is completed in its entirety. Missing signatures or incomplete information will exclude the student from participation until completed.
The most common items missing from the physical are:
- Student signature on page 1
- Student and parent signatures on page 2
- Missing explanations for questions that were answered with “YES”
- The date that the exam was performed by the physician on page 3.
- The physician’s office address and phone number
- Parent signatures on the bottom of page 4 in TWO places.
- Medical insurance information on page 4. If you don’t carry medical insurance, you must purchase School Accident Insurance. If you are going to play football, you must purchase the football option. If you are going to do summer football conditioning, you need to purchase the summertime coverage.
Other common physical errors that prevent participation: Turning in other forms in place of the VHSL physical.
- We CANNOT accept a doctor’s note in place of page 3.
- We CANNOT accept the School Health Entrance Form
- We CANNOT accept anything stapled to the physical IN PLACE of page 3. (a print out from the last doctor visit)
- We CANNOT accept any other version of the VHSL form. It MUST be the JANUARY 2021 version.
Where do I turn in the physical?
There are several options to turn in a physical.
- A completed VHSL can be turned in/mailed to:
Thomas Jefferson HS for Science and Technology
RE: VHSL physical
6560 Braddock Road
Alexandria, VA 22312
- Please DO NOT email forms.
- If you plan on doing summer conditioning, you turn it into the coach on the first day.
- During the school year, you can turn it into Ms Murphy prior to the season starting.
- PLEASE make sure to keep a second copy on file at HOME.
When is it due?
Due to the new out-of-season conditioning rules, all physicals MUST be turned in BEFORE you can condition or practice with the team. If the Coach of the sport that you want to play does not have any out-of-season practices, then the physical is due before the first day of the season. Those dates are:
- FALL- July 28/August 1, 2022.
- WINTER- November 7, 2022
- SPRING- February 20, 2023
Do I have to have the physical done at TJ/Can my family physician do it?
Every year, the FCPS high schools host Sports Physicals. We do this as a fundraiser for the Athletic Training programs and athletic programs. On June 1st at TJ, the screening will check height, weight, vision, posture, vital signs, upper and lower body assessments (flexibility and strength), and see the medical professional for clearance. They will also receive a packet of information to get them ready for the upcoming seasons. Their physical forms will then be kept on file and it is all taken care of during the school year.
Your family physician CAN perform the physical exam. Please make sure to refer to the “What is a VHSL physical section” to avoid common errors.
Where do I find out about try-outs?
- Please refer to the Colonial Athletic Website www.tjsports.org for all try-out information.
Fall Sports: Cheerleading, Cross County, Dance Team, Field Hockey, Football, Volleyball, Golf
Winter Sports: Basketball, Gymnastics, Indoor Track, Swimming and Diving, Wrestling, Dance Team
Spring Sports: Baseball, Crew, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Outdoor track